Troubleshoot Email not working
This short article has items to review when troubleshooting Microsoft
SMTP Servers. If you have more tips / tricks. Feel free to email us
as firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll add to the list.
- Have you run SMTP Diag?
- Does the server sending mail have a static IP address?
- Does the mail server have internet connectivity?
- Does the account sending messages have permissions on the PICKUP folder (usually
- Does your ISP allow port 25 connectivity?
- Does your mail server has a reverse or PTR dns record?
- Have you enabled logging and reviewed messages when sending to an external
account such as gmail.com, hotmail.com, yahoo.com?
- Can you ping external dns servers?
- If you run an external mail server, is your mail server on a RBL list
(www.spamhaus.org for example). DNSStuff.com has a great tool that checks
- Do you have anti-virus software locally on the server blocking port 25?
- Try Telnet to the receiving SMTP server on port 25 and see if there is connectivity (telnet mail.example.com 25)
- Try pinging the receiving mail server and see if it responds.